barrandgirl

Saturday, June 21

Go Team


I've inserted this photo just to attract the attention of a different demographic of reader. Pyley, Marcus and Corey that means you.

Before we were married - and Michael was trying fast to catch up to my opinion that we were going to - we would chat about our relationship. I had already written long, emotional musings about how I felt the planets had lined up and the time for us was so right and good. He would hold my hand and smile lovingly. He would concur with my heartfelt sentiments by responding with "Yeh, I think we make a great team".





"Team"...Mmm, not the picture that really rang true in my heart. Maybe companion or lover or soul buddy but 'team' didn't really cut it with me. I thought I had to wait a while before he came up to my level of conviction about our relationship and that would be indicated when he used a better word. I was looking for something less ... football.





While changing a nappy this morning I came to a realisation that this little baby is the first 'interest' we've had in our marriage where we both have 100% responsibility. Other interests or roles we've had have primarily lay with one of us and the other has been supportive and involved. For example, Michael has been a one-eyed, committed Sydney Swans member and I've bought red and white outfits to wear to the games.





So it's interesting and great that we have this responsibility where we both share an investment with equal passion and commitment. We work together to make our newborn son's life experience the most comfortable and enjoyable we can. We don't count the number of nappies each other has changed or who has had more sleep than the other. The thought is actually inconceivable because the experience is more about the other members of the family than our own needs...but my needs are being totally cared for by another. It's another surprise discovery along the way.





When I shared this thought this morning with both the boys in my family one of them reminded me that we were a great team. And I wholeheartedly agreed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Web Stats Analyzer