barrandgirl

Wednesday, January 2

Going Westside

Well we are back in Sydney-town after our sojourn in Perth for Christmas. There's lots to say with many emotions attached to each but our most significant news is that we are moving to Perth in 6 weeks. We know this is good and right for 2008.

Michael has been restless and frustrated in his current role after more than 7 years. He had his predictable 5 year itch that never really got any attention. We weren't actively looking for the next thing but, one Saturday afternoon while he was laying his last piece of turf in the back yard, he got a phone call from his old boss at Leighton Properties. Without oversimplifying the last 2 months they pretty much offered him a role as State Manager in WA without an interview or negotiation. To this point they have been generous and sympathetic (to my state of Incubation) and so they are packing us up and moving wes’side by the 18th February.

I think this is the first major decision in my life that has been made not just for my own benefit. This is a decision to give my parents full babysitting access to their first grandchild (!) and be geographically close to Cam n Libs as they continue to recover from serious and chronic illness. For me, I’m going back to my old stomping ground but Sydney is currently ‘home’ and it will be a wrench to leave.

We are planning to live somewhere close to Cam n Libs and Carms n John who are only 200m away from each other. Probably renting for a year and then seeing how things work out.

Michael is excited about moving back into commercial development – not that he’s pumped up by the prospect of building a skyscraper – but having resources to complete jobs and enjoying a reduced commuting time to work everyday.

For me, leaving the café is something that was coming after 9 months of incubating anyway. I was hoping to keep my hand in the role and be a part of the community development and mission for years to come. But, although I’m not very good at goodbye’s, it will be a bigger one than first anticipated. I’ve been surprised how much I’ve loved Sydney. It’s a big international city with all the activities, events and culture (ie. shopping) you could want. At the same time, I think I probably know 300 regular customers in Epping by name. We don’t live far from Epping and so there are familiar faces where ever you do your grocery shopping. Some of these customers are true friends who’ve walked with me through Cam’s cancer and been overly-excited with my pregnancy.

I never really expected to make such good friendships in Sydney. Like CS Lewis titles his book “Surprised by Joy”, I’ve been taken aback by the people who have given me time in their busy world. I’ve had 2 jobs, both of which I’ve given my heart to and feel satisfied that I’ve contributed value to some things I totally believe in.

Anyway, this is a long post with lots of words and no pictures!! I know you are dying to see some of the new clothes I bought in the sales for my new figure….but you’ll have to wait.

Both of us are excited about 2008. Not just excited about the lil bebe, Perth, family, new digs, challenging job, etc. but we are thrilled that we are moving on together - with each other. My lifelong dream of marrying someone “outstanding” was true 3 years ago but he’s getting better with age. I love him so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Web Stats Analyzer