barrandgirl

Thursday, October 27

changing lanes

It's kinda official that I'm moving on from my role at NCLS to something new and (more) exciting. I'm going to manage a centre in Epping that will ultimately become a community centre in a space also occupied by a Gloria Jean's, Video Ezy, juice bar and Jester's pie shop. The intention of the site will be to provide a place where people can cultivate a bit of community and get involved in activites which lead them to better lives. It's a bit ambiguous and fuzzy at this stage but more will come to light as details get nailed down. I suppose I'll be like the chaplain for the centre which is right outside a busy train station and will be open long hours. The slate is clean at the moment but I've started to chalk up some ideas...running video clubs, book clubs, art exhibitions & philosophy groups as well as having an active social justice program that engages people (even if just for 30 sec's) while they order a caramel latte. I'll need to recruit staff and facilitators and ensure that the place is rockin'.

I've got a few issues and tensions of my own as I take this step. I'm not completely comfortable with Gloria. Where's her coffee grown and how much exploitation is she doing? I guess I can ask these questions during my month at Gloria Jean's coffee school! Yes, it's true.

Anyway, stay tuned for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Web Stats Analyzer