barrandgirl

Wednesday, February 23

Mark Twain

What a kooky guy! I love his famous quote "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" but I didn't know he also said this; "If Christ came back, the one thing he wouldn't be is a Christian". Interesting concept. I read this quote in the context of an interview (transcript) on Larry King live between a few evangelists named in the top 25 in the world (ie. in America). Everyone has had an experience where someone else's Christian faith/lifestyle has embarrassed their own Christian identity. Where does it leave me when I read this article and come to a philosophical place in direct opposition to one of the top 25 boys? So much evangelism in our time is 'ends justifies the means' style. At any cost the word is preached in order to save souls. If you ask any average Joe what he thinks about "born again Christians who preach the word" you get a good picture of 'the cost'. For example, in this interview one evangelist says that environmental issues aren't important because the earth was made for us - not us for the environment. Joe knows that's not true. I don't believe it either. The view that "this world is going to be destroyed in the flamey end anyway" sets up a immoral belief system that can justify any behaviour. The end cannot hold more weight than present 'means'. Tension must hold the two in equal parts to create significance and meaning. I think I should stop writing until I think more about this. In the meantime, don't disregard my present and tell me that 'everything will be alright'. I'm still in the 'means' and I'm not there yet!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Web Stats Analyzer